Communications Intern – Winter/Spring semester (Feb 2024 through June 2024)
Michigan House of Representatives, Democratic Communications Part-Time: 9am to 5pm, Tuesday-Thursday (in office)
The Michigan House Democratic Communications Team is seeking a dynamic and motivated Communications Intern to join our team. This position is on a part-time basis, working in-person Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. This is a revolving position intended to provide real-world experience in the digital/communications field at Michigan’s Legislature. As a Communications Intern with the Michigan House of Representatives, you will generate social media content and communication materials for the members of the Michigan State House Representatives’ Democratic Caucus.
This position primarily (approximately 75%) entails digital media work:
● Social Media and Communications Content Creation: Draft and post daily content on Representatives’ social media accounts and other communications materials, ensuring it aligns with their legislative priorities and resonates with constituents.
● Work alongside the Digital Advisors to develop social media strategy and content for the caucus and member pages, including visual and written content. This role also entails writing (approximately 25%) including: Write and edit: Create external written materials for a diverse group of Democratic House members, including, but not limited to, media releases and statements, talking points, op-eds, speeches and video scripts.
● Administrative Support: This position will be the first point of contact for visitors to the department and will work to assist the entire department with miscellaneous tasks.
Note: This is an in-person position in Lansing, Michigan. The role requires availability from Tuesday through Thursday.
Compensation: The Digital Advisor Fellow position offers a competitive pay of $16.00 per hour.
● Eager to Learn: Enthusiasm for acquiring new skills and a willingness to explore innovative social media strategies.
● Organized and Strong Time Management: Ability to adapt to evolving priorities, handle multiple tasks and prioritize efficiently, ensuring timely completion of assignments.
● Friendly and Approachable: Able to work with a diverse team in an independent and collaborative setting.
● Reliable Work Ethic: Demonstrated commitment to the responsibilities of the position and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
The Ideal Candidate Has:
● Has Strong Communication Skills: Proficient in written and verbal communication to craft engaging social media posts and interact effectively with team members and constituents.
● Demonstrates Social Media Savvy: Familiarity with various social media platforms and an understanding of how to adapt content for each platform’s audience.
● Can help with Fast-paced Content Creation: Ability to jump in and generate content rapidly for time-sensitive material.
● Is Proactive and Resourceful: Identifies opportunities to assist beyond assigned tasks and contributes new ideas to improve social media presence.